Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's Astounding

Oh the fabulous Mix and Mend collection from Sassafras! How I love thee!!!


I've been trying to figure out my style lately (with minimal success I might add!) but what I do know is that I continue to be attracted to paper ranges that are vintage inspired. And I also know that when I put my pages together I love to use layers of paper, fabric, tape, lace etc, and I also love to splash a little Glimmermist around and sew lots of elements on. The Mix and Mend collection has taken half of this hard work away from me, and made putting together a layout like this sooooooo easy!


For example this looks so much more complicated than it really is. 3/4 of those layers are actually incorporated in the design of the paper so all I've done is simply cut a square from Free Composition and stick it down! But I did go back in and add some texture by sewing a couple of my own layers over the top and adding some chipboard shapes too.



I've posted a quick series on the Handmade by Suzanne blog about some hints and tips on working with the Mix and Mend collection (which you can see here) but one of my tips was to try and incorporate lots of subtle layers in your background too.

On this plain white cardstock I misted with cream mist, stamped some green Twinkling H2O's on with bubble-wrap, stamped the Studio Calico doily border stamp in blue ink, and added some glitter to glue dots stuck randomly on the page. I'm quite pleased with the result.

HBS has a 25% off everything sale at the moment as we get ready to launch a new and improved blog. Maybe you want to take advantage of it to grab some Mix and Mend? Or any of the other great bargains in the store!

6 comments

  1. Beautiful! Great colors for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your explanations, I have tons of this kind of paper but never really know what to do with it. Your girls are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it SOUND so effortless! HA!!! :) This is gorgeous- and I adore that pic of the girls- so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING work Natalie, you sure work magic with those papers and I just love how you explain what you have done! The photos of your girls are always beautiful and beautifully shown off on your beautiful layouts, TFS. Hope it's been a good week and you get to have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely say that this is "your style" Natalie! These pps seem right up your alley and perfectly suit the way you scrap. You always have an amazing mix of embellishments, incredible layering and a knack for putting together textures. LOVE your work!!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to go read your tutorial because I've got a ton of this Mix & Mend on hand but can't seem to make it come togehter. You love for this collection is evident. What gorgeous projects! Love how you added all of those layers - particularly the bubble wrap layer - so subtle yet effective.

    So happy to hear we will be guest bloggers together! I've got Dec. 6 :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails