Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Trying to be a True OG

It's alright - I don't know what that really means either. But I know I want to be one!!

So I found another new-to-me challenge site from the XOXO Girls. It's a scraplifting challenge, and I so dearly wanted to play along last round but simply ran out of time. I got around to it this time though and have scrap-lifted the amazing layout by Jennifer Matott which you can see here (along with all the other layouts you can choose from).

I was inspired by her use of long ripped strips of paper running across the length of her layout, and so did a similar (but quite different) thing with mine. Nearly everything in my layout is from Lily Bee Design's Audrey collection, and although these colours are quite out of my comfort zone I had so much fun putting this together, and will definitely be using more of it (I hardly made a dent in my stash of this collection because I was lucky enough to win 2 of each paper and all the embellishments - which is a LOT of black and white and jewel colours to play with!!)

I started off with this large white flower from the Audrey collection, but found that it faded into the background when I used it just as it was. So I CHANGED IT UP, which just so happens to be the current prompt at CP4U :) I threaded a length of orange embroidery thread through the inside of it to match the other colours in my layout and make the flower stand out more.

I also edged my Maya Road kraft envelope in some Peach Delight Glimmermist, and generally splashed it around my layout a bit for some more orange highlights. Inside the envelope I have hidden all my journalling on the story of Girl No.2's labour and birth, which I thought was something that definitely needed recording - but wasn't something that everyone wants to read about (and plus - it's a bit of a long story. Which is ironic given the labour itself was really short!)

I had also planned on doing some whimsical stitching running across the entirety of the layout too. But I did something to my sewing machine and suddenly it doesn't sew anymore :( The needle still goes up and down, but it doesn't seem to want to pick up the stitches. So that's why you can still see the needle puncture holes on my layout if you look closely!!

If you want to play along with the XO Girls you've still got a bit of time - the current challenge doesn't end until the 30th, and the prize is a kit from Snobby Walrus, which means if you're into Graphic 45 and 7 Gypsies (and let's face it, who isn't?!) then you'll want to win this! Go and check it out.

2 comments

  1. Beautiful page Natalie! Love the way you altered your flower! Thanks for playing along with us this week!.

    Ally.
    http://creativeprompts4u.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for lifting my layout.. I love how you changed it with your own ripped pieces and bits of wonderfulness! Thanks... glad you played along!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails